Thursday, June 09, 2011

THE DUELLISTS

Do men still duel over the honor of a lady? You bet they do. And all this time I thought chivalry was dead:


ALBANY, N.Y. -- Michael Chernoff of Albany said, ''When I was watching I kept thinking, was this really happening?''

New World Bistro Bar in Albany is missing part of its front wall after a car crashed into it Tuesday night. Sitting just a few feet away, Michael Chernoff says he first saw 25-year-old Jason Lopez sprinting down Delaware Avenue.

Chernoff said, ''I thought when I saw the runner, I thought someone would chase him out of the sidewalk, but I didn't expect a car to come out and try to run him over.''

Police said driving that car was 26-year-old Dashawn Currie. They tell us around 8:30 p.m. Lopez and Currie got into a fight at the KFC on Delaware (Avenue). They were arguing about Currie's girlfriend, who Lopez used to date.

Albany Police Spokesman James Miller said, ''The ex-boyfriend pulled a knife, tried to stab the current boyfriend, was unsuccessful. Current boyfriend then tries to run down ex-boyfriend as he runs down Delaware Avenue.''

After hitting the restaurant, police said Currie chased after Lopez again before hitting a parked car. The crash caused considerable damage to New World Bistro Bar and slightly (injured) two people eating inside.

Mr. Currie is now facing attempted assault and reckless endangerment charges. Mr. Lopez is facing a weapons possession and a menacing charge. I don't know who the lady in question is, but I hope she's worth it.

On a related note, years ago I was in a restaurant when it was hit by a car. This was when I was a soldier stationed in Germany. The building was very old and made of stone. Aside from a few minor chips to the exterior, it was unscathed. The car was a different story. It's front end was mashed in. It hit the building so hard its ass-end swung around so that the car was facing almost 180 degrees from the direction of travel. It must have been traveling at a pretty high rate of speed. How the driver managed to hop the curb, cross the sidewalk, and hit this (really large) building I'll never know. Maybe he was trying to create a drive-through window. What's the German word for dumbass? If there isn't one, there ought to be.

6 comments:

Chris said...

Dummkopf!

Thanks, Hogan's Heroes.

John D. said...

Chris,
That's close enough, I think. And remember, if anyone asks, "I know nothing!"*

*another Hogan's Heroes reference, for those who didn't get it.

Pat Downey said...

They pull a knife, you pull a car. It's the Albany way.

John D. said...

Pat,
Apparently so. I'll have to be careful not to bring a knife to a car fight.

Bob G. said...

John D.:
Now WHY am I thinking these two should be playing RUSSIAN ROULETTE with an AUTO PISTOL instead of a revolver?

The ALBANY way...ROFL!
(love it)

Roll safe out there, people.

John D. said...

Bob,
Russian Roulette with an auto pistol? Well, you know what they say, you can't win if your don't play. :)